Wonderful, fun, beautiful, amazing, blessed, unique, your own

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Barcelona and Vilanova Spain

Last weekend, I went on my last trip while studying abroad for this semester.  I say that because I am determined to find a way back.  This is just going to be a really quick post because I am currently drowning in all the papers and finals I have this week not to mention leaving Italy depression is beginning to set in.
Well, on a happier note- Spain was beautiful and I loved it.  I am so so glad that I was able to make it there.
So now for some pictures and a brief explanation of what I did!

We left from Florence for Spain at 3 AM which gave us an entire day in Barcelona.


The first thing Kimmie and I did was go see the Temple Exiatori de la Sagrada Familia. It was one of the neatest churches I have ever seen.  We literally looked at if for an hour.

This is the other side of the church.  There are hundreds of statues and different animals carved into it.


Barcelona is an incredibly clean, beautiful, and active city.  We walked into the city center and trough the Arch de Triumph.


Next, Kimmie and I went to this amazing food market. It has won an award for being the best food market in the world!  There was so much fresh fruit.  We bought fruit salad for 1 euro, fresh juice, oranges, grapes, pineapple, and more.  


We wandered around the city and through the streets.  This is La Rambala- the main street.  The trees were beginning to bloom and we have great spring weather.


Then we went to see the Cathedral.  It was also interesting to see but it too was under construction. 


We then walked (and it might be important to note that we were walking with out backpacks that we used as suitcases all over and they kept getting heavier and heavier) to Port Vell and the marina. 


Then we went to where we were staying.  We stayed at a campground that is about 30 minutes outside of the city.  Campgrounds in Europe are so different then the ones in the US.  This one was amazingly nice.  It had a huge grocery store, three outdoors pools, one indoor pool with jets and hot tubs, multiple playgrounds, tennis courts, basketball courts, and soccer fields.  The best part- this entire cabin with a kitchen was only 12 euro a person for the two of us.  AND- you could easily sleep more.  The couches in the living room can be beds and there was a loft where people could sleep.  Talk about a deal!


This was our bedroom. 


Our second day, we went into Vilanova, the town where we were staying, to spend a day at the beach.  The weather was perfect and it was such a great relaxing day.


In the Mediterranean. 


Saturday was our last day.  We went back into Barcelona.  Barcelona is known for its gaudy architecture and this is just one of the buildings that lines the streets. 


We went to Park Guell, which was created by Gaudi.  The wisteria was blooming and it was beautiful. 


Some of the gaudi architecture in the park. 


Such a neat park.  Once again, we had to carry our backpacks everywhere. 


Park Guell is also know for its mosaics.  These are on the ceiling of a covered area in the park. 


The iguana fountain!  It a mosaic and it the symbol of the park. 


We went back to the market for more fruit juice! I was indecisive about whether I wanted kiwi/pineapple or raspberry/pineapple so the lady gave them both to me!  So yummy. 


Our plane didn't leave until 10 at night so we had time to just wonder around the city.  Behind us is a Christopher Columbus statue. Yay USA.

So that was my trip to Spain.  I definitely want to see more of that country one day. 

I don't know if I will have time to blog anymore while I am in Italy, but I am sure I will have time when I get home.  Expect a lot more posts about Europe then!


No comments:

Post a Comment