Wonderful, fun, beautiful, amazing, blessed, unique, your own

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Assisi With Melissa!

A while ago (March 11) I went to Assisi to visit my friend from high school Melissa who is studying abroad in Austria but she was in Assisi for a couple of day.  I took the train all by myself and had a slight panic attack when I got off the train and realized that the only town was way up on the top of a mountain and I had no idea how to get there.  Luckily some nice old man told me how to take the bus and then I miraculously found Melissa sitting by the fountain in the middle of a beautiful piazza. 
We went to lunch with her program and I met all of her friends who were so nice!  After lunch, we went off on our own and saw three beautiful churches and wondered through the streets of Assisi.  The first church we went to used to be a Roman Temple but it was converted to a Catholic Church.  It was a beautiful blue on the inside.  
After that, we went to the Church of St. Claire which is where the original cross is that spoke to Francis and told him to rebuild the church.  That was really neat to see. There are also relics in this church so I saw some of the robes that Francis and Claire wore, Claire's hair since she cut it off towards the end of her life, Francis's shoe, and bandages with blood on them that covered his wounds of stigmata. So cool.
We also went to the Basilica di San Francis which is really pretty.  The fresco's that cover the walls are incredible.  I took some pictures even though I wasn't supposed to.  I just don't follow directions very well. Oops!
Then Melissa and I just spent time talking and wondering through Assisi which is such a cute little hill town.  The buildings were beautiful along with the views.  I had so much fun seeing my friend from back home.  How crazy is it that we met up in Italy and in Assisi of all places since the high school we went to was St. Francis of Assisi High School!  So cool.  It's funny to think that our colleges are closer together when we study abroad then when we are in the US.  








I had such a great day and I traveled all by myself and made it home safely.  Such good memories were made on this trip!
Plus, Melissa and I saw a beautiful sunset.  God does love us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment