Wonderful, fun, beautiful, amazing, blessed, unique, your own

Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's the Luck of the Irish, Kyle

My oh my do I LOVE Ireland.

It is not only beautiful but the people are so nice and they have wonderful accents and speak English! 
I was in Ireland for 5 days and I spent 3 of those days in Dublin.  What a cute city with some beautiful architecture.  

The first day Carolyn, Julie, Sara, and I went to Christ Cross Church which is absolutely beautiful.  We had great weather pretty much all day every day so the sky behind this great grey church was stunning.  And the bulbs were starting to bloom which made the grounds even more stunning. 
Next up was Carolyn's personal favorite- the Guinness Factory.  We walked through a museum type area where they told us how guinness is made and we learned the history behind it.  At the end, we ended up in the sky bar where you could have a free pint of Guinness.  Not a big fan of Guinness so I passed up that opportunity for a sprite instead.  You could see views of Dublin from the sky bar though which was neat. 
After Guinness I made everyone go to the jail- Kilmainham Gaol.  It is super old- from the 1700's- and was used to house many political prisoners.  I 
We went back to our hostile which was decent. It was just the four of us in a room which made it a lot better and it was clean enough.  We all took a little nap since we had to wake up at 2:45 AM to leave for Ireland before we went out to what became our favorite restaurant- Fitzgeralds! There was a live band playing called Totally Wired and the band members were super funny. They played a lot if Irish songs and then some random ones too, like the Final Countdown.  It was really fun.  We also went to Temple Bar area but it was so crowded that we didn't stay for long.

Our second day in Dublin was also great. We found an Urban Outfitters which as so exciting but they just change the dollar sign to a Euro sign so it was all super expensive.  I did have to buy a macaroon cookbook because it was so cute and macaroons are so tasty.  
We walked to St. Patrick's but mass was happening so we had to go back another day.  That is also a very pretty church and there was a beautiful park right next to it where the well that St. Patrick used to baptize people was. 
We also went to Dublin Castle.  Right when we were about to walk inside, the blue sky turned grey and it started to hale!  About 10 minutes later, it was sunny and blue again.  The castle was neat but most of it has been rebuilt but we were able to go underground and see the original structure that the Vikings built and the moat. That part was really cool.  
Then we went to Grafton Street which is famous for shopping.  We just browsed and then returned back to the hostile to get ready for dinner and we went back to Fitz! 

We went to Cork the next day but there will be a separate post on that so now for our last day in Dublin.

Julie and I went to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells and the Old Library which was very neat.  You weren't supposed to take any pictures but I did take one somewhat blurry one of the old library because it was so pretty. The book of Kells was also really neat to see. I cannot even imagine how long it must have taken to complete it. 
After lunch, I went back to St. Patrick's by myself because I wanted to go inside. I am really glad I did because this cathedral had a lot of stuff in it including the swords, flags, and helmets of St. Patrick's knights. That is really all the main attractions in Dublin so we spent the rest of the day wondering around, eating scones, and poking into little shops.
  
Ireland was such a fun, beautiful place.  

This was our hostel.  4 girls who packed in space bags with no dressers = a HUGE mess. 

1 comment:

  1. Is the title of this post in reference to that awful Disney movie? I hate that I understand it.

    ReplyDelete