Wonderful, fun, beautiful, amazing, blessed, unique, your own

Monday, March 28, 2011

Skiing the Italian Apennines

Step 3 of an Amazing Weekend: Ski the Italian Apennines

It was beautiful, and cold, and snowy, and white, and amazing, and fun, and hard!

I hadn't been skiing since I was 8 years old (11 years ago!) so it was a bit more difficult then I thought it would be.  Still, it was a blast and I did quite a bit better then I thought I would have.  I think that if I had spent a couple of days there, I would have been close to a pro.  That may be a little exaggeration, but whatever.
We took the last bus of the season that went form Florence to Abetone.  It was still so snowy and beautiful! They had 2 inches of snow the night before we went so it was all fresh.  I absolutely loved skiing and being in the snow.  I did follow a group of little ski kids down the bunny slopes at first so I could figure it out but once I remembered, it was great!
We had a picnic lunch and then went back to skiing.  Italy doesn't label their trails like they do in the US so there was no way of knowing whether a train was green or black.  So I tried to go down this one trail that was very difficult for me.  It took me an hour and a half to get down doing a combination of skiing, scooting on my butt, and then walking down with my ski's in my hand.  The last bit was so steep and curvy that I thought I would fall off the side of the mountain if I tried to ski down.  It was so much fun.  I love skiing and I want to go next winter!

Abetone

Bunny slope-trying to remember how to ski


Ski lift up!

Going up the mountain

Ta-Da!

So pretty

Me and Kimmy
Me at the top!

Kimmy 

Ski lift

So pretty

Katie, Me, Caitlin, Kimmy


Full moon over the Ponte Vecchio welcomed us home

No comments:

Post a Comment