Wonderful, fun, beautiful, amazing, blessed, unique, your own

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Arno River

Everyday I am blessed to be able to have a 25 minute walk across the Arno River and through the heart of Florence to get to class.  Not only is it beautiful, but it is a great way to get a little exercise.  The mornings are especially great since not all the tourists are up yet and shop keepers are just opening their shops.  Although it gets progressively busier as I cross from our house on the residential side to the study center, I love taking this time just to reflect on how lucky I am to be in Florence and have this amazing opportunity to study abroad.  I am living in another country for 4 months! How crazy is that?

When I am not talking to all my new friends, I also try to squeeze in some quite time when I can let my mind wonder and talk with God.  Let me tell you, it's pretty neat the Jesus is everywhere over here.  There are little frescos like this one all over the city.  You just look up and BAM- there's baby Jesus and Mary just watching everyone.  When I see the amazing works of art and the architecture that is hundreds of years old, I cannot help but realize how amazing He is.  Oh, and don't even get me started on the scenery.  Drop dead gorgeous.

Okay, now back to the Arno River.  Specifically, I walk over the Ponte Vecchio bridge every morning.  This is the bridge that is famous for selling gold because literally every vendor on the bridge sells different types of gold jewelry.  Here's a little tid-bit of nifty info to impress your friends with one day.  The Ponte Vecchio was the only bridge in Florence that Hitler didn't bomb during World War II because he thought is was too historically important.


   

The other day I was able to capture some beautiful pictures of the Arno River and the Ponte Vecchio.  Isn't it splendid?

Time to get ready for the Opera.  I feel so Italian and grown-up saying that.  We shall see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Marvelous pictures! I feel like it was yesterday when I was walking those very streets. Continue to soak it all in :) Say a prayer for me in the duomo please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to be roaming the streets of Italy! That is always the one thing I wanted to do in college and never did! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete